Internacional students

Legalization of foreign qualifications

About the legalization of documents issued abroad

No legalization is required for documents issued in Member States of the European Union or in signatory States of the Agreement on the European Economic Area.

In all other cases, any documents issued abroad that applicants wish to submit in these procedures must be duly legalized in accordance with the following conditions:

a) Documents issued in countries that are signatories to the Hague Convention of 5 October 1961:

The Hague apostille affixed by the competent authority of the country in question will be sufficient.
See the list of countries that are signatories to the Hague Convention of 5 October 1961.

b) Documents issued in any other country:

The  documents must be legalized through the diplomatic channel in the country in which the studies were carried out. As such, they must be submitted to:

1. The Ministry of Education of the country of origin. In some countries, such as Japan or Brazil, the universities themselves fulfil this function.
2. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of origin.
3. The diplomatic or consular body of Spain in the country in which the documents have been issued.

Translation of documents

In the case of foreign qualification certificates, please bear in mind that if they have not been issued in Catalan, Spanish or English, they must be translated into Catalan or Spanish by one of the following parties:

  • A sworn translator, duly authorised or registered in Spain.
  • Any diplomatic or consular body of Spain located abroad.
  • The diplomatic or consular body in Spain of the country of which the applicant is a resident or, if applicable, in which the document was issued.
  • An official translator abroad whose signature has been duly legalized.

What is a certified document?

A certified document is a verified copy compared to the original document which is stamped stating that the copy matches the original. Remember, if you have studied at a Spanish university the authentic electronic copy allows you to present the degree electronically.

Where can I certify my university degree?

At the Academic Secretariat of the UdG Foundation showing the original document.

We also accept certified copies from:

  • University, local, regional and state administrative bodies
  • Notaries
  • Diplomatic or consular representatives of the Spanish state